Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S, a super-telephoto prime lens for the Nikon Z mount system
June 29, 2022
Compact and lightweight body with superior sharpness and clarity for easy handheld super-telephoto shooting
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S, a super-telephoto prime lens that is compatible with full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount system has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S is a super-telephoto 400-mm lens that offers both superior sharpness and clarity, in a compact size with light weight. Handheld shooting is easy with the lightest*1 weight in its class, approximately 1,160 g (excluding tripod collar), and a total length of approximately 234.5 mm, providing superior agility and reducing fatigue over extended shooting sessions of wildlife including birds, and sports photography. Use of the Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x or the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x extends the focal length of this prime lens to 560 mm or 800 mm, respectively*2, expanding its power of expression with the ability to bring distant subjects even closer, and dynamic rendering. In addition, the lens offers excellent balance by shifting the center of gravity closer to the camera for more stable operation during handheld shooting.
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S belongs to the S-Line*3 lens series that pursues the ultimate in optical performance. It is constructed with effective arrangement of one ED glass element, two Super ED glass elements, and one SR lens element. This contributes greatly to the compact size and light weight while delivering superior optical performance in which chromatic aberration is suppressed. The adoption of Nano Crystal Coat also contributes to effectively reducing ghost and flare effects, achieving clearer images and accurate depiction of even the finest details of distant subjects.
With a maximum aperture of f/4.5, the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S realizes three-dimensional rendering that makes the intended subject stand out. It is also equipped with an optical vibration reduction (VR) mechanism that provides a superior compensation effect equivalent to shooting at a shutter speed 5.5 stops*4 faster, which is the highest among NIKKOR Z lenses*5. In addition, a stepping motor (STM) supports fast and precise AF control for certain capture of erratically moving subjects, including those engaged in sports. The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S demonstrates superior agility and rendering power over a wide variety of scenes, supporting professional and advanced-amateur photographers.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *1Among f/4.5 and slower lenses, including those with a focal length of 400 mm, for interchangeable-lens cameras equipped with a full-frame (35mm  equivalent) image sensor available as of June 29, 2022. Statement based on Nikon research.
- *2AF performance may deteriorate depending on the subject, brightness and focus position regardless of the camera body, causing inaccurate focus, slow focusing speed or flashing of the focus indicator.
- *3The S-Line is a grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that demonstrate outstanding optical performance, adhering to a high standard of design principles and quality control.
- *4Based on CIPA Standard. This value is achieved when attached to a camera with full-frame/FX-format sensor, with the camera's VR function set to "NORMAL".
- *5As of June 29, 2022.
- Focal length can be extended to 560 mm with the Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x and 800 mm with the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x.
- Focal length can be extended up to 600 mm-equivalent without a teleconverter by setting the camera's image area to [DX (24x16)] format.
- Effective arrangement of lens elements has realized a more compact and lightweight lens.
Handheld shooting is easy with the lightest weight in its class of approximately 1,160 g (excluding tripod collar) and a total length of approximately 234.5 mm.
- Chromatic aberration is significantly reduced via the adoption of one ED and two Super ED glass elements. In addition, the adoption of an SR lens element controls short-wavelength light that is difficult to compensate, achieving highly precise chromatic aberration compensation.
- Nikon's original Nano Crystal Coat is adopted to effectively reduce ghost and flare effects.
- Use of the shallow depth of field of this super-telephoto lens with its maximum aperture of f/4.5 produces large bokeh for more three-dimensional rendering.
- Employs an optical vibration reduction (VR) function with an effect equivalent to a shutter speed 5.5 stops faster, which is the highest among NIKKOR Z lenses.
- Synchro VR is available when paired with the Z 9, achieving even more powerful camera shake compensation — equivalent to a shutter speed 6.0 stops*1 faster — with in-camera VR combined.
- The employment of an STM ensures high-speed and accurate AF with quiet operational sounds.
- Superior dust- and drip-resistant performance*2 and anti-fouling performance with the adoption of fluorine coat.
- Employs the Memory Recall function*3 that instantly recalls focus positions that have been stored in advance, via pressing a button to which [Recall focus position] has been assigned.
- A design considering video recording including a focus-breathing compensation function which effectively reduces shifting of the angle of view when focusing, and stable exposure.
- *1 Based on CIPA Standard. With the camera's VR function set to "NORMAL".
- *2 Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.
- *3 The cameras compatible with this function are the Z 9, Z 7II, Z 6II, and Z 30 only, at the timing of product release. When using the function, the firmware for cameras must be updated to the latest version. For other models, this function will be supported via later firmware updates.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
For more information
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.